The purpose of hiring a personal injury attorney is to protect your rights and maximize the compensation received for your injuries. The reasoning for this is quite obvious. The better the compensation an injured person receives, the higher the fee will be for the personal injury lawyer.
Some people may wonder whether they require the services of a personal injury attorney versus general practice attorney. In cases of personal injury and bodily harm, you want to retain legal counsel who specializes in this area and know the ins and outs involved. With that in mind, here are five reasons why injury victims should hire a personal injury lawyer to assist with their case.
1. A personal injury lawyer understands the situation
When you have been injured, and another party is responsible for the accident and resulting injuries, it is important to have someone on your side who will look out for your best interests. Someone who will help you seek compensation for damages and make sure any medical bills are covered. At times like this, injured people are often vulnerable and have questions about what they can expect not only from a financial perspective but also what to expect if long-term medical care is required.
Some frequently asked questions courtesy of the car accident lawyers in Las Vegas at http://rodneyokano.com/car-accident-lawyer-las-vegas/ blog may include:
- What is involved in the legal process?
- How long will it take to resolve the case?
- How much compensation can I expect for my injuries?
- Will I be able to resume working at some point?
- What sort of medical evidence do I need to substantiate my claim?
By retaining an attorney who specializes in personal injury claims, your interests should be protected, and you can have the security of knowing that your legal counsel will seek the best compensation possible for the injuries and damages you have suffered. After all, it is also in their best interest to make sure you, as the injured party, receive the best deal possible, so they receive the maximum fee possible.
2. Personal injury attorneys have experience dealing with insurance companies and their lawyers
In most cases, “insurance companies want injured parties to settle for as little compensation as possible.” says Tim Layfield, a Thunder Bay On Injury Lawyer. Their job is in direct contrast to that of your legal counsel, who are hired to ensure your best interests and the maximum award possible. Some instances when the experience of a personal injury attorney can come in handy dealing with claims include:
- Auto accident claims (e.g. motor vehicle accidents (MVA), auto-pedestrian accidents, whiplash, etc.)
- Claim adjusters with varying levels of experience
- Insurance company legal counsel
3. A personal injury attorney has the knowledge and experience to assess the strength and veracity of your case
Someone who specializes in this area of the law will be able to analyze the evidence, know what to look for, and determine whether additional medical evidence or experts are needed to prove your claim. Some other documentation or expert services might be deemed necessary. These issues might include the following:
- Need for additional statement(s) from doctors or expert testimony via videotape, deposition, or in-person court appearance.
- Need for witness statements to help determine and verify liability or fault.
- Need for a crime scene investigator or accident reconstructionist to compile/obtain/preserve the data from the accident, such as vehicle speeds, braking before impact, etc.
4. Personal injury attorneys have the personnel and financial resources to devote towards a successful resolution of your case
A lawyer who only handles personal injury cases occasionally will likely not know whether or not an expert is needed to prove your claim and might not have the resources to retain experts if deemed necessary. Meanwhile, attorneys who specialize in personal injury will have the know-how, expertise, and resources needed to handle your case properly. Specifically, personal injury lawyers will have knowledge and experience in the following areas:
- They will be able to determine if scientific, medical, and other experts in injury-related claims are needed.
- A team of associates and office staff available to help gather evidence and data required for your claim.
- The financial and personnel resources required to mount your case until a settlement is reached or court verdict is rendered.
5. Personal injury lawyers know their case law
The insurance companies retain attorneys who know their case law. Therefore, you want to have someone with the same expertise in your corner. By hiring a personal injury attorney or more specifically, a car accident attorney, you should place you on even ground with the at-fault insurance company’s lawyers and provide the best chance of maximum compensation, especially if the case ends up in court.